We all know that the best work environment for productivity is a tidy one. But we also know that sometimes the papers just pile up and if you are like me you start to feel like you are drowning in it!
Here is my before picture:
As you can see there are papers everywhere. It was almost a feeling claustrophobia. I was starting feel the stress of all the paperwork that was surrounding me until I met up with my Mentor, Warwick Merry, who gave me a very simple tip that works.
This is what he told me to do:
- Set aside an afternoon or morning when you will not be interrupted (turn your phone off)
- Have some fun and crank up the music
- Take 3 manila folders and mark each one as follows:
- TO DO THIS WEEK
- TO DO NEXT WEEK
- TO DO LATER
- Sort your papers into the 3 folders and be ruthless when choosing which folder the items go into. Remember you are only sorting, not actioning anything at this stage.
- Each week shuffle the items into their current appropriate folders
- Allocate time in your diary to action the TO DO THIS WEEK folder
This is the after photo:
Once I did this I felt in total control again. I had a sense of accomplishment and a calmness came over me.
If you try this I’d love to see some before & after photos. Email them to me at email@example.com